Courier Menu Food and Drink Awards AnnouncedNeil Hardie
Unfortunately for the sell out crowd at the Apex Hotel, Dundee, the glittering ceremony to announce the winners of the 2020 Courier Menu Food and Drinks Awards had to be cancelled due to the recent Coronavirus outbreak, which has swept the country.
Although it was undoubtedly the right thing to do in light of the Coronavirus concerns, everyone on the Courier team was very disappointed that the awards ceremony had to be cancelled.
However, despite the anti-climax, there was an evidence of the abundant passion, talent and overwhelming commitment to producing top quality food and drink across Courier Country when the winners were announced in The Courier on Saturday 14 March.
Two Angus winners topped the poll in their respective categories – Wee Bear Cafe in the Independent Coffee Shop of the Year and Lost Orchards Cider in Craft Beer/Cider of the Year.
Gareth Finn who runs Wee Bear Cafe with his wife Anne, said “We’ve worked very hard over the last few years to create a community style cafe, and it’s really nice that people think we are deserving of the award.” The Whistle Stop in Brechin was Highly Commended in the Independent Coffee Shop of the Year category.
Co-founder of Lost Orchards Cider Andrew Husband commented; “We are absolutely delighted to win this award and incredibly proud of our team and the growers who have put so much work and effort into creating our premium ciders, with provenance, sustainability and of course taste at our core.”
The full list of winners are as follows:
- Chef of the Year – Martin Hollis
- Producer of the Year – Summer Harvest Oils
- Newcomer of the Year – The Kinneuchar Inn
- Street Vendor of the Year – Mezzaluna
- Independent Coffee Shop of The Year – Wee Bear Cafe
- Craft Distiller of the Year – Darnley’s Gin
- Food/Drink Destination – Bowhouse
- Entrepreneur of the Year – Praveen Kumar, Authentic Indian Cuisine
- Pub of the Year – The Kirkstyle Inn
- Craft Beer/Cider of the Year – Lost Orchards Cider
- Cocktail & Wine Bar – Draffens
- Restaurant of the Year – The Kinneuchar Inn
- Judges’ Choice: Food and Drink Ambassador – Fiona Pollock, Ardross Farm Shop