Angus Rural Mobility Hub
The Angus Rural Mobility Hub aims to deliver a regional platform that will enable the decarbonisation of public transport, road freight and private transportation.
The hub plans to host a digital network to accelerate ideas for affordable public access. These ideas include:
- active travel
- mobility as a service
- last-mile delivery systems
The project aims to build Scotland’s first regional mobility hub at a strategic location on the A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen. It will achieve this through a collaborative public, private and academic partnership.
Set within the planned 20-hectare expansion of Brechin Business Park, this enabling infrastructure will explore opportunities around:
- integrated clean energy generation
- distribution and storage for private, fleet and freight
- public transport interchange
- car share
- last-mile logistics
A skills development and employment strategy is planned to support the hub. This strategy will focus on attracting research teams, technology companies and operators within the mobility and low carbon sectors to locate and grow in Angus.
The integration of mobility, energy and digital infrastructure will place Angus at the forefront of Scotland’s drive to unlock clean and inclusive economic growth. It will be a model that is transferable to other cities and regions.
Opportunities for the site include:
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure for cars, buses, logistics and micro-mobility
- Distributed energy generation and storage
- Freight clean fuel (biogas, with the potential for hydrogen in the future)
- Last-mile delivery and rural consolidation with delivery options (drone/automation)
- Car and fleet sharing (EV)
- A digital platform to enable rural active travel and automation capabilities
- Bus interchange (rural/town)
- Trialling of ‘on-demand’ public transport
- Micro-mobility connections (e-bikes/cargo bikes) and service infrastructure (charging/hire/secure)
- Changing, washing and locker facilities
- A community hub and office space (meeting room hire/services)
- Connectivity to public amenities through safe/sheltered pedestrian/cycle routes
- Integration with a planned regional business park to support co-location of associated ventures, investors, service