Skills for Work
We facilitate a range of skills programmes to help businesses in Angus improve long-term staffing objectives or address skills gaps.
These programmes respond to the needs of employers and local labour markets. They provide young people with real-life work experience.
Employability Fund (EF) 3
The Employability Fund 3 programme connects employers with motivated young people interested in exploring a career within their sector.
Your business would offer relevant practical work experience in the form of a placement. We would ensure that the young person receives the appropriate sector-specific training. They would also receive accreditation through the Certificate of Work Readiness.
The placements consist of between 190 and 240 hours of work spread over a period of 8 to 12 weeks. The Business Angus Skills Team coordinates the process throughout, minimising your time commitment.
You would not be required to pay participants a wage while on the programme. Participants may receive a Young Persons Allowance or will remain on their DWP benefit.
Employability Fund (EF) 4
The Employability Fund 4 programme provides discretionary external funding for work placement or sector-based academies. It is available where a specific need exists within the Angus area.
The programme includes certification in approved Stage 4 qualifications linked to local and current job opportunities.
Certificate of Work Readiness
The Certificate of Work Readiness is for people who are preparing for their first experience of work. It helps them to develop essential workplace skills.
The certificate typically takes around ten weeks to complete. It combines learning with a training provider and time in the workplace.
Certificate of Work Readiness is an SQA accredited qualification which results in an SCQF Level 4 certificate. It includes the following modules:
- Responsibilities of Employment
- Dealing with work situations
- Skills for customer care
- Personal development, self and work
- Practical workplace skills
Learn more about the Certificate of Work Readiness
Modern Apprenticeships (MAs)
Modern Apprenticeships allow your new or existing employees to work towards an approved qualification while in employment. They have been designed by employers for employers. Each Modern Apprenticeship is tailored to meet individual business needs.
Apprentice employees get flexible training and a qualification designed for your industry. We provide on-the-job training with an industry-approved Scottish Vocational Qualification.
There are many different reasons why your business should take on an apprentice, including:
- Get an influx of fresh ideas
- Help shape the training of the young people of the future
- Invest in young talent or upskill current employees
- Improve productivity, reduce staff costs and turnover
Learn more about Modern Apprenticeships
The WorldHost training programme is a worldwide-recognised qualification in customer service skills. It is a one day course offered by the Business Angus Skills Team.
WorldHost training provides participants with the skills to engage with customers effectively. The course explains and reinforces concepts like:
- Why customer service is such an essential part of their role
- How to make an excellent first impression and make customers feel welcome
- How using customers’ names can help create a good rapport
- Techniques for remembering names
- Communication skills
- How to empathise with customers and why handling their concerns is so important
Employers who have supported staff to complete the training have reported that staff:
- are more motivated, engaged and loyal
- have improved both their local tourism and product knowledge
- are more confident and empowered to deal with customers positively
- are less likely to want to change jobs
- communicate better within the business